Monday, June 25, 2007

Gatewood's Men

Here is a poem I picked up at the reunion. I’m still doing some research on the author M.M. Folsom and which Gatewood this refers to.

Gatewood’s Men By Montgomery M. Folsom

All day I stump around the place upon this worn old wooden peg,
And growing old I’m forced to brace myself upon the other leg.
But, comrades, when I see the sun come dancing down the mountain side,
And watch the wanton waters run – Oh, then I long to mount and ride.
As once we rode when down the vale we heard the clang of clashing arms,
The rolling drums, the bugle’s wail, the crash of battle’s wild alarms,
As heard in those memorial days of gallantry and glory, when through
The wood and winding ways we rode and fought with Gatewood’s men.

The world assumes a fairer mein, and blithely blew the bracing breeze.
Blue skies above the valley’s green, bird notes among the tossing trees,
Arousing all the fond delight an ardent soldier’s heart can feel,
While laughing streams like mirrors bright reflected back the flashing steel.
And like to sounding of the surf upon some shining sunlit shore,
Our hoofbeats on the springing turf sent up a mellowed, muffled roar;
The mountain eagle screamed aloud, the prowling wildcat sought his den,
As o’er the ridge our pennants proud were bravely borne by Gatewood’s men.

There’s some strange fascination in the sight of squadrons marching past,
There’s exaltation in the din and danger of the battle blast;
And men forget the milder arts and plentitude of placid peace,
Nor reck the blight of broken hearts that heal not when the campaign’s cease;
Still, in my sleep that banner flaunts its folds before my sole oppressed
By mocking memory that haunts me with its vain and vague unrest;
And vivid visions oft appear beyond the reach of mortal ken,
As in my dreams once more I hear the bugle call of Gatewood’s men.

I see him now – the noble roan, the charger which he always rode,
Just like a statue carved in stone, until, with conscious pride, he strode.
Along the line and boldly bore the leader that we loved so well;
No peerless paladin of yore of whom the old romances tell,
Might equal him; again I hear that voice so gently grave and strong;
And, answering back, the ringing sheer and some wild snatch of marching song.
Away with time and tiresome trade, and let me mount and ride again,
With leaping pulse and gleaming blade to victory with Gatewood’s men!

Perhaps the shrewd commander lay entrenched behind his cannon’s grim;
Or else updrawn in pride array along some rushing river’s rim;
Or maybe in some safe retreat ambushed behind a frowning wall.
Or flanking forts, prepared to meet out charge with bayonet and ball,
‘Twas then our leader showed the skill and strength of that resourceful mind;
A swift night march o’er the vale and hill, with blazing campfires still behind;
Then bursting like a fiery flood rode Gatewood and his gallant men!

Ah, few can feel what I have felt! With bounding heart and whirling brain,
And jingling spurs and tightened belt, and flinging free my bridle rein,
Responsive to the bugle call, firm fixed each fiber of my frame-
As “double quick” we followed all where Gatewood led through flood or flame;
A living avalanche we swung where burned the battle’s breath,
In reckless rivalry, and flung the gauntlet in the face of death!
How fast our frightened foemen fled before our conquering columns then,
For none withstood where Gatewood led the onslaught with his matchless men.

7 comments:

cdroses said...

From reading this, I'd say you only have 100 years or so of military records to go through. Considering the military history of the Gatewood clan, I wouldn't be too suprised if it was the Revolutionary War.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

LaDawn said...

I'm not sure I know who MM Folsom is....should I?

Janell said...

No, you shouldn't know who he is. I'm still looking him up.

Janell said...

I think we've been spammed! Rodrigo no habla Espaniol.

cdroses said...

I know I have notes on one of the Gatewood grandfathers serving in the Revolutionary War. He was part of a militia similar to "The Minutemen", but a different name. (sorry, not enough time to go back through my notes) I think the group was the "New Jersey Blues" I know the word BLUE was part of their name.

BTW (By The Way) you should be able to delete the spam and notify blogger of the spam.

Sue said...

There was a troop of guerrila soldiers during the civil war that was led by a Gatewood. I think they were with the south.
Sue