Monday, April 23, 2007

Weekend

This weekend was spent in Grand Island. State bowling was the excuse for the getaway. 10 ladies from Norfolk and area went together. I did not bowl very well
at all. Just couldn't get the pins to fall.
After bowling on Saturday we had free time. Usually this involves shopping. Two
other ladies wanted to go to the horse races. I had not been to the races since
Aksarben had closed so this sounded more fun than shopping. We got there in time for
the last six races. I am not a big gambler and a $2.00 better at the races. They
have added a second "daily double" since we used to go to Aksarben. I spent $14.00
and cashed in 1 ticket for $3.80. Net loss of $10.20. This was a lot less than I
would have spent at the mall. Nancy is a great race fan. She and her late husband
would go to GI and the races when he was alive. Chris, her daughter, had never been.
We had a great time.
Going to the races naturally brings memories of Grandma and Grandpa G. It also gave
me an excuse to brag that I had my picture taken with a winning horse when I was a
very little girl. Grandma was holding me and only the top of my head is visible,
but I was there. I believe the horse might have been Master Bid, not real sure.

We were a little concerned when we arrived at our motel. The storm chasers vehicle
was parked in the lot. There were watches out but no warnings. A tornado did touch
down near Gothenberg, but nothing in GI. On Sunday one touched down near Hadar
which is about 8 miles from Norfolk. Tis the season.
We ate supper (or dinner if you prefer) at Texas T-Bone. A steak house where they
serve you portions way to big for the average person to eat. No wonder we are a
nation of overweight people. We went to a lounge for a night cap. Some played some
pool, others darts. I opted to get out of the smoke and went back to the room with
my book.
Sunday was team bowling and back home and do some laundry so I have clean underwear.
Sue

4 comments:

LaDawn said...

I love going to the races. Here in the UK horse racing is still very big. We have a race course less than 5 miles from our home and another one about 10 miles away and then yet another about 20 miles from our home. All in all, we are spoilt for choice when it comes to picking a race meeting. They also run it on television on Sunday afternoons during the racing season. I am soooo spoilt. We have both flat and jump races. The jump races are scary for me to watch. Just weekend before last was the Grand National which is the big jump meeting of the year. Over 40 horses entered. Only 14 finished this year. The winning owner was just 27 years old and bought the horse for £20,000 (about $40,000). The race purse is millions of £££. It was the first horse the owner had ever entered in the Grand National. The trainer of the horse is also in his 20s and it was his first horse. The jockey had a bit of experience in the saddle and race but had never won before. The horse, Silver Birch, was a long shot at 25-1. Sure wish I'd bet on that one but didn't see it coming. My horse Bewley's Berry fell at the 14the jump. Until then, he was in first. We were in front of the television jumping up and down like crazy maniacs. Even my children loved it. Seb kept telling our guests "My Popa raced horses." My husband's pick won last year so all in all we are up in the betting.

Oh, you've got me all excited! Must go to the races.....maybe this evening!

Janell said...

Sue - sounds like a great weekend! I'm glad you ducked the storms. We had a big one, but not dangerous, roll through Sunday morning. And thanks for sharing your memories of Grace & Kathryn last week. I enjoyed reading that.
jc

Myrnagj said...

Sue, the horse would have been either Merry Bid or Master Bird.

Myrnagj said...

I wondered about the weather in GI after seeing the national weather map on the weather channel

Here in California we had to drive in snow over the summit from Reno on Sunday. Paulette, myself and nine other dancers caravaned back in case someone got into trouble. We stopped for dinner in Auburn. Cell phones are wonderful for keeping track of each other.

We danced the weekend away.