Thursday, August 16, 2007

Family injuries

Am I the only one remembering when Dad got his pants caught in the power take-off of the tractor? Must I admit I remember most not getting to go to a movie I wanted to see. Someday I'll remember what it was.

Dad was working with a post hole digger on the back of his tractor. He got his pants leg caught in the power take-off--the connection from the tractor that made the post hole digger dig the hole. It tore most of his overalls off of him and cut up his leg pretty bad. He walked back to the house from the field with his jacket tied around his waist. He was afraid there would be a "bunch of women" visiting. If I remember right, he refused to go to the doctor. He said if he had been wearing new overalls it would have been a lot worse.

How is Emily doing?

2 comments:

Sue said...

I remember Dad's accident. I don't know if he had scars from it because he never wore anything but overalls except when he "dressed up."
When you think about raising 6 kids, it is amazing that no one ever had a broken bone until Mom slipped on a step and broke her ankle. She was probably in her 60's when that happened.
Sue

Janell said...

I had not heard about Dad's PTO accident. He was probably right about the overalls. I've heard some pretty gruesome stories about men getting caught in a PTO. Imagine the lawsuits if they still had to use that now!