Monday, September 17, 2007

Books

Over my lunch break I walked up to the library to renew an overdue book. There is one guy there that always waives the late fees. He was there today and saved me 70 cents. When I walked in the door there was a big sign "Book Sale - 50 cents a book."
(Reminded me of Nederland.) I picked out 4 mysteries. Would probably have bought more except I was walking and that was all I could carry. I may have to go back a couple more times and get a supply for the winter. I am still waiting for some of the books that LDCP has reviewed. They must be real good books because they are always out. I am reading one now called "Grasshopper". It is set in London. (Maybe LD has read it.) I can't remember the author, but I think I am down to the "V's". Instead of wandering around trying to pick out a book, I go down the alphabet A to Z and pick a book accordingly. Sometimes I have to skip "Q & Z" because there aren't that many names that begin with those letters. I also have to make sure the print is big enough to read while I am on the treadmill.
Technology has also changed the way libraries are run. When I went to the library when I was a kid, I had a card that was stamped with the due date and put in a slot in front of the book. (I think Florence Preston was the librarian.) Now I have a card that I put under a light beam and the bar code is read and then the book is put under the litht and I am all checked out. I don't know if anyone was every prosecuted for overdue books when I was a kid, but I have seen names in the court news of our paper of people with warrants out for past due books. With the prices of books what they are, a library card is a real bargain. I'm not sure if I even had to pay for the one I have now.
When we lived in Dodge county, our monthly trip to Fremont for groceries included a stop at the library. We would pick out books to read for the next month. I think Joe would pick out Dr Seuss. My favorite is still "Fox in Sox".
Sue

6 comments:

Shirley said...

Sue - have you read Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones" ? I liked it.

Myrnagj said...

I sent a couple of books to Janell to share.

I liked "The Lovely Bones" and I haven't found anything I really like for a few months so I'm reading old stuff off my shelves.

Sue said...

I haven't read it, will put it on my list.
Sue

cdroses said...

I remember the Fremont library trips. In 7th and 8th grade, I would find the biggest book on the shelf to "get me through the month". (Jean Plaidy was, and still is a favorite author)

There was an article in the paper, recently about a book being returned 27 years later (yes, that's double digits). No mention of the fine, though.

Personally, I go through the sections looking for "(blank) for Dummies" to narrow the topic down. lol Then find something in that section with a little more "meat" to it.

Janell said...

We use the Fremont Library regularly. We first started going there when we moved away from Tekamah and it's so much bigger than the Tek.Libr. I remember when we first walked in to see if we could buy a card there, Jack (was 5 at the time) just looked around with his mouth open in sheer wonder and said, "Oh, we have GOT to be able to get a card here!" I think he might have wept if they had denied us!
And Sr. Seuss? Last Christmas (at age 25) Jack requested a Dr. Seuss anthology he had seen at Barnes & Noble. We still love Horton!

LaDawn said...

At school in Recption (equivalent to Kindergarten in the USA), Sebastian was asked if he ever went to the library. he told them yes, but after walking around I thought mummy had more and better books at home so we just went home and read those. I almost died!