Monday, May 14, 2007

Completely out of control

Someone please stop me. I’ve become obsessed with putting in bedding plants. I found a great new greenhouse just outside of Arlington- Siffring Landscaping – and they had the most beautiful flowers there. I planted an arrangement of unpronouncables in the two big pots at the end of our driveway. I put in a row of 12 zinnias (for Mom) right along the house, behind the horseshoe border. I added some pink and red mottled leafy things – no flowers, just color - behind the zinnias. I put in two new miniature roses and replaced a dead spiderwort at the end of the sidewalk.
I managed to fit in all the tomatoes, peppers and eggplants in our little garden spot. I packed each plant in with a generous helping of horse manure and this morning, all the existing plants got a dose of Miracle Gro. I had to get back to work today in order to get some rest form all my gardening.
Our new dog, Cody, followed me around throughout the whole process, carrying his squeaky toy, hoping for a game of fetch. He waited very patiently, so I obliged him until he got tired and just laid down with his toy between his front legs. He seems to have settled in with us pretty well. We go walking every morning for at least a half hour and his big WHOOF WHOOF WHOOF announces cars coming down our driveway as well as going into the drive across the road no matter what time of day or night. When no one is outside with him, he rests in the shade of the front yard. He’s the perfect dog for us. He has already learned all his good manners and has no interest in chasing our cats – tho you couldn’t convince the cats of that. They have been going around with pretty much permanently arched backs, wild eyes and frizzed out tails since he got here, but one of them seems to like perching on top of his dog house. At one point, Cody surprised Webber coming around the corner of the house so she ran up a tree. Unfortunately, it was a tree that was next to the veg garden and at that moment, the sprinkler was going, so she got soaked as well as scared.
I trust you all had a good Mother’s Day and graciously received accolades from all your grandchildren as well.
Until next time!
Janell

4 comments:

Sue said...

I don't know why we can't grow
zinias from seed. Mom would always
plant a row in her garden and they
would do great. I tried planting
Marigolds the first year we were in
our house and the rabbits ate off the new little sprouts.
Sounds like you have a real nice addition to your animal collection.
Sue

cdroses said...

I can get Zinnias to grow from seeds! What is wrong with you!? (poking fun) It's funny that we think of Grandma (Mom to you guys) when Zinnias are the topic. Honestly, I haven't had time to grow anything but Dandelions. Which reminds me of Axel Gustafson...when he had Tam and me pick them for his wine making efforts.

LaDawn said...

I've always wanted to taste dandelion wine. Is it any good?

cdroses said...

I don't know ladawn...I was only 4 or 5! lol