Friday, May 18, 2007

Mom

Was she ever diagnosed with narcoplepsy? I thought it was some kind of severe anemia that she and Julia had?

Anyhow, I remember the NAPTIME game that went on and on and on and on tat summer in California.

I remember sitting in my swim suit with my towel waiting for Mom to have a little nap. She would say five minutes and that was usually enough. She was also "famous" for being able to get in a nap on her lunch hour when she worked in Fremont at Campbel's. If I take the scenic route to work i.e. get off the freeway one exit early, I pass a Campbel's tomato processing plant, and think about her working with the chicken.

One year she was here during tomato season and worried about the tomatoes on the bottom of the huge trucks being squashed. And they wouldn't be any good.

I remembered another song after the rest of you suggested some Marsy dotes and dosey dotes or Mares eat oates and Does eat oates. I found my Scott Joplin CD and there are some of her favorites on that.
One day I was with her in the church when she was "doing my bit" (that was what she called it). She was dusting the organ and found it had been left on (and she sure knew who would do that). Before she turned it off she sat down and played some of the rag time pieces. Hearing that music bouncing off the walls and stained glass windows is one of my favorite of Mom's playing music.

Looks Like I got on the list of contributers to this blog.

4 comments:

Shirley said...

It is Mares eat oats, and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy.

I don't like to think about this napping thing too much as I can sleep in a chair pretty easy and sometimes, well most of the time, riding in the car.

LaDawn said...

All this talk is making me sleepy.....I wish I could sleep more. I am soooo jealous!

Sue said...

more lyrics - marsy doats and doesy doats and little lamsy divey a kideleat ivytoo wouldn't you. --
don't know about the spelling, but do remember the ditty.
Sue

Janell said...

I don't know if she was ever actually diagnosed, but she showed me an article in a magazine once that described the symptoms of narcolepsy and said, "I think I have this. That's why I get so sleepy sometimes."
Unlike Mom, I have trouble driving. If I'm going to get a "Nap attack," that's when it happens.