Friday, February 15, 2008

David

Happy Birthday, David. When David was a baby Mom, Shirley, Janell and I took the train out of Omaha to Biloxi for a short visit and to meet David. While Myrna was waiting for the train some kid snatched her purse right out of her lap. She said she had about 5 cents in it, but had to replace a lot of ID cards to get government benefits available through the Air Force.
Some of the things I remember about the trip - It was Hot and humid, much worse than Nebraska. We toured a shrimp factory. It was the first, and probably only time I was exposed to segregation. Most prominent were the separate restrooms in the train depot in Texarkansas. The bar car was closed when we were going through "dry" counties. There seemed to be long long stretches of trees along the railroad line. A friend (maybe she was Myrna's landlady) fixed us a great meal of fresh seafood.
Anyway, have a great day, David.
Sue

5 comments:

Janell said...

I remember that train ride. It was the first time in my life I ever saw a Black person. Did we also tour an Antebellum mansion of some kind?

cdroses said...

Happy birthday Dave! Have a drink on me lol

Sue said...

I don't remember touring a mansion, but we may have. Myrna has a better memory than I do so maybe she can enlighten us.
Sue

Myrnagj said...

The mansion tour was in West Point, Mississippi after Paulette was born and Mom, Dad, Shirley and Janell drove to visit us for Chirstmas. i think Shirley was along.

Shirley said...

I had just got my haircut before that trip -- people on the train thought I was a boy. I had made a friend on the train, and he thought I was a boy, too, until I put on a dress to meet Myrna.

Happy Birthday David.