Monday, February 11, 2008

Pet Peeve

One of my pet peeves is people who use handicap only parking spaces when they are obviously not handicapped. This hap pend twice on Sunday. First at Walmart where a lady (and I use the term loosely) and two teenage girls got out of the car a scurried into the store. There was no handicap sign on the plate or hanging from the mirror. The next time was at the Hy Vee store. I didn't see the driver, but again there was no sticker or hanging sign. I debated as to whether to call 911.
This is not an emergency situation just something that really bugs me. Probably should have looked up the non-emergency number and called. Keying the car probably wouldn't be a good idea. (just kidding) With 70% of the population in the US being overweight, a few extra steps into the store would not hurt them. As far as the lady with the teenagers, what kind of message is she giving those girls when she so blatantly disobeyed the law?

Would you have called 911?

Sue

4 comments:

Myrnagj said...

I wouldn't call 911 because that is for EMERGENCIES. Call the non-emergency number for the police dept and ask them what would happen if you did report the car. If there is a community officer in your department perhaps that is where you can call. I've thought of putting the non-emergency number on my cell phone but after seeing how uninterested the Sacramento police were in getting fingerprints or other evidence from Paulette's stolen car; I have real doubts if it would do any good.

Janell said...

I don't think this rates a 911 call, but the managers at both stores might have taken some more action. Both the WM and HV at Fremont have security cameras in the parking lot.
If you had a sharpie and a pad of paper, you could have made a big drawing of a wheelchair with a note, "I guess you lost your handicap parking tag. Here's a new one." and stick it under their windshield wiper.

Janell said...

And BTW - do handicapped people get ticketed if they get caught parking in a regular parking spot?

Shirley said...

I agree -- 911 is for emergencies.
Try the managers of the stores like J. said.